Re: Payments activity - any point to our time and effort?

On 03/11/2016 05:30 AM, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> Ultimately we were always going to disappoint one group of proposal
> editors.

That is not at all what I was led to believe. Hopefully you did not mean
it how I read it.

We had many discussions on the approach of keeping the two proposals
separate. Our position was that it would be seen as a competition, it
would divide the group, and it was generally a bad idea. Others,
including yourself, indicated that we needn't be so concerned, it
wouldn't be seen as a competition, and a likely outcome would be the
creation of a new spec that merged the proposals together.

Of course, an adoption of both proposals followed by a merge of them
should not have been disappointing to anyone. In fact, that would have
been the preferred outcome for anyone who believes in working together
to achieve consensus. So the sentiment that "we were always going to
disappoint" contradicts that idea.

One lesson here (and there were many lessons) is this: Don't split up
into factions and develop multiple competing specifications. It's a
disaster waiting to happen and pits the group against itself. Instead,
bring proposals into the group *from the start* and work on the them
together.

--
Dave Longley
CTO