Re: Introducing Flex Ledger

On 06/03/2016 01:41 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 3 June 2016 at 19:05, Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org
> <mailto:nathan@webr3.org>> wrote:
>
> Also, currency uri rather than literal
>
> I think that's possibly aliased in the context, maybe manu can
> correct me if that's wrong ...

The example cited uses this fake/made up JSON-LD Context:

https://w3id.org/cryptocurrencies/v1

Which, I assume, would alias "USD" to a URI of some sort. So, yes,
Melvin - you are correct.

That said, the approach for Flex decouples what you can store in the
ledger from the data model for the ledger itself. So, you can store
transactions in any way that you want.

One ledger might choose to store financial transactions where the
currency is a URI. Another ledger might choose to store financial
transactions where the currency MUST be an ISO currency code.

The bottom line w/ Flex is that the decision is an application-specific
one and is out of the hands of the ledger data model itself (which is
not the way most of the ledgers in operation today work).

blog: The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern
http://manu.sporny.org/2016/browser-api-incubation-antipattern/