Re: blockchain and linked data questions

Melvin was one of the brains-trust for BitMark, after WebCredits[5] / RWW
Coin.

I note my admiration for this body or work.

I also note the work of Nathan Rixham [6] [7] on Project BitMark.
Together, alongside a multitude of others, they achieved prototyping and
storyboarding[8] of a multitude of use-cases including, interestingly, the
ability to define sufficient entropy encoding on a t-shirt (or other image
orientated use-cases).

I believe one of the issues that plagued the bitmark project was the way in
which the block-chain related markets work; in that, investments were made
by way of crypto-investments, which in-turn relate to supply/demand,
alongside the value of the coin as is related by the market; and by the
reward structure of those who 'mine' it.   Therein, to stablise the
underlying currency / blockchain method, i think alot of time was spent on
a problem that could only be solved with more money[9] which in-turn may be
spent on the computational resources to 'do stuff' with the coin, as to
maintain the effectiveness of the proposal for investors.

I'm also unsure of the considerations around the 51% issues [10][11] at the
time.  It was my concern at the time that an enormous amount of effort was
being placed on an attempt to solve some of these problems, which in-turn
impacted the amount of 'creative' time available to build applications that
would use the systems and/or make the systems usable by ordinary humans.

I've found a paper [12] about bitmark through a quick google search.  I
remember they'd used an early version of a revox framework [13] on one of
the bitmark sites.  I found that to be a rather awesome way of solving some
of the Webize[14] / RWW [15] app UI issues, which are now being solved by
way of Solid [16].

Mind, I still note the lack of support at the moment for credentials[17].
Whilst these sorts of experiences show the difficulties experienced by
those who make attempts to make or contribute towards the production of
useful things [18]; these experiences really helped reinforce for me, the
pragmatic usefulness of 'credentials' as a meaningful constituent to a
decentralised life-cycle that puts organic agents ahead of inorganic ones;
including by way of 'rule of law', which by all means is in many ways a
consideration that is beyond the means of technical standardisation
efforts.   In more recent times, I've been exploring the issue with a view
to trying to figure out additional means.

After considerable consideration; It seems to me, that building a bridge
with the various Internet Society chapters [19] may be a pragmatic way in
which to achieve meaningful progress.  Part of the Human Experience in
which i've come to consider this view, has been produced via  my experience
with blockchain technologies (with those who are world-experts in that
scientific field) which in-turn led me to believe solutions that put the
responsibility onto human agents specifically (inclusive to their
relationship to other forms of agents, automated or otherwise) are very
valuable; and,
'
Where a group of like-minded people may provide means in which to support
considerations such as how to 'webize' apparatus such as; the 'Magna
Carta',   various human rights conventions, constitutions and other
considerations surrounding the merits of sovereignty, citizenship and 'rule
of law'.

Whilst these sorts of things come down to the means in which citizens
participate (and are provided accessible means in which to do so) through
my involvement in bitmark and various related works; i think technically or
from a computer science perspective - incredible work.

Yet the broader 'web-science' capabilities surrounding the choices and
available ontologies produced as a result of those works; leave some areas
still on the to-do list.

Credentials should be compatible with a webized block-chain, as has been
produced by melvin using HTTP Signatures [20], however as noted - devil is
in the detail.  At the moment, there is a verifiable claims taskforce [21],
and the link providing more specific information about the work of the W3C
taskforce is located here [22].

I think overall, some incredible work has been done.  It's still in
development and i think we all hope it'll come together in a collaborative
and cooperative manner, as to deliver a solutions framework that can
standardised and more broadly supported.

Hope that helps.

Tim.H

​[5] https://www.w3.org/community/webpayments/wiki/Web_Credits_OnBoarding​
​[6] https://www.linkedin.com/in/webr3