Re: WPWG Vendor Neutrality (was Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group)

On 6 April 2016 at 00:59, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:

> RE: "the relationship between Identity, Web Payments, and the Web"...
> "UNCITRAL -- Unsure, but possibly Identity first and Web Payments second"
>
> See: "UNCITRAL Colloquium on Identity Management and Trust Services" 21-22
> April 2016, Vienna
>
> http://www.uncitral.org/uncitral/en/commission/colloquia/identity-management-2016.html
>

> RE: "US Fed -- could be both Web Payments and Identity"
>
> Also see: Secure Payments Task Force
> https://fedpaymentsimprovement.org/payments-security/task-force/
> Some participants are from other countries, an furthermore. cross-border
> payments are "in scope".
>

> RE: "IETF ... maybe less for Web Payments"
>
> It depends which elemental functions one's considering.

It's really quite possible to over think identity.  Which is why we have
dozens of identity systems that dont really work.  But there's a really
obvious and really easy way to do it -- just use the web.  Put your profile
on the web, and allow it to link to other profiles.  Mark up the data to
indicate that you are part of a social graph, that you're a person, your
name, your avatar, and who your friends are.  This is the work pioneered by
WebID.  It's so simple and so powerful.  There's pretty much no other good
way of doing identity out there.  It's been slow going tho because web 2.0
is still caught in the email paradigm from the 1980s and that will take a
long long time to replace ...