Re: WPWG Vendor Neutrality (was Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group)

On 4/5/16 1:59 PM, Joseph Potvin wrote:
> To situate my earlier comments, in many/most negotiations it's
> valuable to be psychologically and pragmatically prepared to walk.
> In the core reference on conflict resolution "Getting to Yes" [1],
> it's called your BATNA (Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement)
> [2].

+1 Interesting.
And in that regard, I'd like to bring up again your earlier post with
the four suggestions for alternatives: UBL, US Fed, IETF, and UNCITRAL.

I think it might be worth familiarizing ourselves with and discussing
these four and any others that might be added, in the big picture
about the relationship between Identity, Web Payments, and the Web, to
see if any are a better fit than W3C.

For myself, I went and pondered the "store-front" (web portal) of each
of these four, and on a naive view I'd say:
UBL -- seems Web Payments focused. Seems doubtful that Identity could
be solved there.
US Fed -- could be both Web Payments and Identity, but limited to one
country.
IETF -- really would entail its parent organization, the ISOC.
Possibly good for Identity, maybe less for Web Payments.
(http://www.internetsociety.org/)
UNCITRAL -- Unsure, but possibly Identity first and Web Payments second.

Steven Rowat