WPWG On NOT abandoning the CG specs (was Re: Update on Web Payments Working Group)

On 04/04/2016 06:49 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Lastly, please please please, dont abandon the CG specifications.
> They are some of the best work anywhere.  In a sense the CG is in
> some ways ahead of the WG at this point.

We have no intention of abandoning the concepts in the CG
specifications. We will fight for the consensus positions of this group
- level playing field, financial inclusion, innovative ecosystem, etc.

The recent scuffle in the Web Payments Working Group is not the end. A
decision was made to use the Microsoft/Google specification as the base
specification for the Web Payments Browser API. We have the ability to
change those specifications. One approach is by submitting
counter-specifications like this:

https://github.com/w3c/webpayments/pull/115

Another approach is for people from this community to pick an issue to
fight for/against and move that particular item forward:

https://github.com/w3c/browser-payment-api/issues

> I think there is a compelling case to be made though interoperable
> implementations.  Im hoping to spend the next 3 quarters of this
> year working on some.  This can often be a better way of convincing
> people than simply a specification ...

Agreed. Implementations matter. Digital Bazaar will be doing an
implementation of the Web Payments HTTP API and the hope is that
provides a counter-weight to some of the Browser API design decisions.

blog: The Web Browser API Incubation Anti-Pattern
http://manu.sporny.org/2016/browser-api-incubation-antipattern/