Re: Ripple/Stellar Consensus System May Have Serious Issues as Stellar Forks

On 7 December 2014 at 00:04, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 12/06/2014 05:20 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > Interesting article here
> >

> http://www.coinsetter.com/bitcoin-news/2014/12/06/ripplestellar-consensus-system-may-serious-issues-stellar-forks-1969
>
> This has some interesting info:
>

> https://www.stellar.org/blog/safety_liveness_and_fault_tolerance_consensus_choice/
>
> """
> This week, we discovered the first instance of a consensus failure. On
> Tuesday night, the nodes on the network began to disagree and caused a
> fork of the ledger. The majority of the network was on ledger chain A.
> At some point, the network decided to switch to ledger chain B. This
> caused the roll back of a few hours of transactions that had only been
> recorded on chain A. We were able to replay most of these rolled back
> transactions on chain B to minimize the impact. However, in cases where
> an account had already sent a transaction on chain B the replay wasn’t
> possible.
> """

Some more issues reported between the founders of ripple and stellar

http://insidebitcoins.com/news/not-so-decentralized-ripple-freezes-1m-in-user-funds/31862

Without knowing all the details, it would appear that in decentralized
systems, centralized artifacts can creep in.

It's also been particularly difficult to keep the web centralized.  I
wonder if decentralization through incentives (ie payments or block chain
technology) could be used to make the web more decentralized.