Re: Vague "Digital Wallet" terminology (was: Re: W3C officially launches Web Payments initiative)

> Keep in mind that just about everyone that read that sentence thought it said
something different.

This is true, but that's exactly why it would make sense to agree on a
basic definition (at least in the context of the Web), just like what is
done with the keys of a JSON-LD document when it's mapped to a context. I
don't really know how to define a digital wallet beyond a *resource* that
stores credentials (i.e. depository) and is able to participate in
transactions, which I agree is

> so generic and useless as to not help direct the work

However, I don't think that dropping the term "wallet" would save us from
using any other generic terms, since we would still need to define what it
means in the context of Web Payments. Instead, I think we could replace the
term/question "What is a Digital Wallet?" for "What is a Web Wallet?" to
take the context into account and find a less generic definition (even if
the term "digital wallet" is used in the definition of a "web wallet"), and
then it would be easier to depict the difference between a Google Wallet, a
Bitcoin Wallet and a Web Wallet, just like we implicitly know the
difference between an Identity Document, a Microsoft Word Document and a
JSON Document (even if the term "document" is very generic as well).

> The IG would be better off deconstructing the problem into the minimum
> technical requirements to make economic transactions more standardized
> on the Web. Namely:

> 1. Identity / Credentials / KYC
> 2. Payment Initiation
> 3. Digital Receipts

> ... which is basically where this CG ended up after contemplating the
> "What is a wallet?" discussion over the past 4+ years.

+1. By no means we should ignore the learnings from 4+ years of this
discussion nor go over it again nor prolong it much more, but just to
narrow the scope of the definition to the context of the Web. So, assuming
we agree on a basic, non-generic term whose definition helps direct the
work (e.g. a web wallet is a URL that represents an [a set of]
identity/payment credential[s]), the focus should definitely be on
credentials (resources) and payment initiation (interactions) as the
minimum technical requirements to standardize (I see digital receipts as
another type of credentials that say "believe me, I paid" instead of
"believe me, I can pay").