Re: WPIG - Deliverables

On 2014-10-20 08:11, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 10/20/2014 01:36 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>> http://www.w3.org/2014/04/payments/webpayments_charter.html
>> "Development of technical standards is not in scope for the Interest
>> Group"
>>
>> Since recommending somebody else's solutions (including WPCG's)
>> would be politically impossible, the only realistic deliverable
>> appears to be a set of requirements for actors to consider when
>> selecting a specific solution.
>
> The deliverables of the WPIG are outlined here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2014/04/payments/webpayments_charter.html#deliverables
>
> Having been through this process a few times, I can almost guarantee
> that the output will look similar to these two documents:
>
> https://web-payments.org/specs/source/use-cases/
>
> https://web-payments.org/specs/source/roadmap/
>
> Those documents will then be taken and handed off to task forces that
> will be asked to figure out what set of technologies to put together to
> achieve the results. If gaps in the Web Platform are found, new
> technical working groups will be created to fill those gaps.
>
> There seems to be confusion around the purpose of the Web Payments IG.
> It does not exist to invent or create new technology. Rather, it exists
> to define use cases, requirements, and possibly a roadmap. Only after
> those items are done will the group be able to analyze if existing
> technology could be used, or new technology is required for the Web
> Platform. Here's the order of operations:
>
> 1. Web Payments Workshop (March 2014)
> 2. Web Payments Activity Charter Creation (June-Oct 2014)
> 3. Web Payments IG (Oct 2014-?? 2015)
> 4. Various Task Forces related to payments/credentials
> 5. Potentially new Technical WGs for payments/credentials (2015-2018)
>
> We're on step #3 right now, and have a long way to go to get past step #5.

It is possible that the W3C work takes another route and that is using
WebCrypto as a lever into the payment jungle.  After all, huge resources
and time have been invested in this work-item by the bowser-vendors
and if WebCrypto can't do payments it would be close to a failure.

The outcome of WebCrypto.Next will be the tipping point.   Currently
there's nothing on the table so at this stage all bets are off.

Anders