Re: Coverage on BadVoltage

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:09:59 +0200
To: Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
On 2014-07-29 22:48, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Bad Voltage recently did a piece on the Web Payments work:
>
> http://www.badvoltage.org/2014/07/25/1x21/
>
> The Web Payments bits start at around 40'20" in. Thanks to Bruce Lawson
> for the tip that our work was covered over there.
>
> Here's an in-depth response to the piece, a response from Stuart
> Langridge (Ubuntu One), and Bruce Lawson (Opera Evangelist and
> "Introducing HTML5" author):
>
> http://community.badvoltage.org/t/1x21-everything-old-is-old-again/2053/27?u=msporny
>
> If those of you in the group are wondering about the strategic aspects
> of the work we're doing, the post above might help explain the approach
> we're currently taking.

The BadVoltage folks at least touched one area which I consider crucial, "buy-in".

I think they are right regarding Google, PayPal etc.  These guys already have
established solutions that are convenient and scales well.  In addition they can
(at least Google and Apple) roll-out security solutions that the traditional players
can only dream about.

IMO, the only way to get *any* buy-in from the traditional players is providing a
useful login solution to banks.  That may make them interested and then they can
take on a next step which obviously is much more difficult.

My 2 öres.

Anders