Re: Deprecation Warnings for currencies used in transaction?

On 2 January 2014 13:33, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>wrote:

> Aloha o/
>
> I would like to work on recommendation explaining how to issue deprecation
> warnings for currencies of one's own choice. In case someone doesn't feel
> familiar with concept of deprecation, please just see article on
> Wikipedia[1]
>
> Big part of my work in last years focuses on supporting development of
> great diversity of currencies[2] with personal focus on non-monetary
> currencies. Personally I already deprecated use of monetary currencies over
> 4 years ago, and as various alternatives become more established I would
> see such move as something everyone might realistically consider to make!
>
> Now, to play it *fair*. I would like that people who still chose to use
> certain currencies (especially those specified in ISO 4217[3]), and already
> plan to quit using them in very near future, while doing so could issue
> proper deprecation warnings. Myself I will soon strictly require issuing
> such warnings in situations when someone uses any of ISO 4217 currencies,
> to acquire an asset with intention of making it available to me / projects
> I work on (eg. registering a domain name, buying train ticket etc.) I
> consider it *not fair* to transfer certain monetary currency, quit using it
> silently together with majority of other people, and this way leave the
> other peer with a virtual number now useless in practice...
>
> Looking at Web Payments: Commerce Vocabulary spec[4]. Transaction seems to
> me like a proper place to include such warnings. At this moment one could
> possibly only put it in plain old rdfs:comment[5] which has range of
> rdfs:Literal. I would prefer that each warning has proper IRI and links
> back to transaction (preferably even embedding it). Can we add such feature
> to Commerce Vocabulary or I should look for a way to shomehow extend it?
> PayeeRule also sounds like possible place to mention it as well!
>
> Thank you for all suggestions :)

I think all web payment currencies get translated to a w3id IRI using the
@context settings.  So, aiui, while it looks like a 3 letter ISO code, it
actually get converted to a hyperlink.

Re: deprecation, I'm unsure we've currently reach that point, but if one
currency, or group of currencies, falls out of usage e.g. through a Euro
break up, states gaining independence etc. perhaps that could be put in the
individual currency description.

For example: http://dbpedia.org/page/Deutsche_Mark