Re: Statement on web-payments.org: "participates heavily in work at the IETF"

On 8 February 2014 17:29, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

>  On 02/08/2014 05:04 PM, Frode Kileng wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just took a look at the new web-payments.org site. The text at
> https://web-payments.org/#tech states regarding the Web Payments
> Community Group:
>
> "*also participates heavily in work at the **Internet Engineering Task
> Force (IETF) <http://ietf.org>**.*"
>
> After attending IETF meetings for 10 years and closely following the
> mailing lists for 20 years, this comes as a surprise for me. I've never
> heard anything about, or from, the CG work and contributions at any
> physical meetings or any mailing lists.
>

> In particular, the work is also not aligned with the WebCrypto API (as
> Manu rejects algorithm agility) or the JOSE specs (ditto I guess). Would
> appreciate to now what's going on there before the Web Payments workshop.
> As the W3C Crypto API (and thus, to an extent JOSE) is being implemented
> across all major browsers, it would behoove Web Payments to be more
> involved and take in input.

Im unsure of the issue here.  Would it be possible to explain the issue
with algorithm agility?

FWIW: I have interacted once with the WebCrypto mailing list in order to
raise an issue, so that it may be feasible for User Agents to implement
crypto currencies.  Right now, most implementations have to save private
keys in localStorage, which is not ideal from a security perspective.  I
think it would reflect well on the W3C crypto group if they were able to
adapt to the recently growing popularity of cyrpto currencies, even tho it
was not something explicitly stated in the charter.