Re: P2P Payments

On 12/5/14 8:50 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> On 2014-12-05 14:29, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 12/4/14 2:48 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>>>
>>> P2P payments are established in many places in the world.  My guess is
>>> that none of these are based on standard web technology because this
>>> technology simply isn't up to such tasks; it will take many years to
>>> get on par with "Apps", if even possible.
>>>
>>> It is sad but the web is lagging and the lag is increasing due to the
>>> success of Android and iOS.
>>>
>>> Anders (on Android)
>>>

>> What does "Standard Web Technology" mean?
>
> To simplify the discussion a bit: The web does not support client-based
> cryptographic keys (except through HTTPS CCA which doesn't not sign
> data).

To me you are really saying: there isn't a W3C spec for user-agent-based
cryptography.

> Well, the web actually *did* support signatures but the browser-vendors
> (and W3C...) sitting in their ivory towers simply declared browser
> plugins
> as a bad thing without coming up with any kind of "replacement scheme".
>
> WebCrypto does *not* match up with the browser-plugins.

Why not? You can now store data in storage associated with a browser
that's local, since HTML5.

> Seen from that perspective the web is effectively going *backwards* while
> the App-environment is security-wise getting stronger and stronger, with
> Apple Pay as a recent example.

Apple Pay treats the device as the user-agent. Apple understands the
importance of the host operating system i.e., that browser based
user-agents != only kind of user agent.

The Web is not about one kind of user agent, far from it, as mobile
platforms continue to demonstrate.

> In theory the WebCrypto.Next project could address this "deficit" but
> I have
> to date not seen anything that has even the slightest chance of
> getting adoption.

There is more than one kind of user-agent that can operate on the World
Wide Web or any other HTTP based network. Web Browser are overrated, if
you ask me :)

Kingsley

--
Regards,