Re: P2P Payments

On 2014-12-05 14:29, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 12/4/14 2:48 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>>
>> P2P payments are established in many places in the world.  My guess is
>> that none of these are based on standard web technology because this
>> technology simply isn't up to such tasks; it will take many years to
>> get on par with "Apps", if even possible.
>>
>> It is sad but the web is lagging and the lag is increasing due to the
>> success of Android and iOS.
>>
>> Anders (on Android)
>>

> What does "Standard Web Technology" mean?

To simplify the discussion a bit: The web does not support client-based
cryptographic keys (except through HTTPS CCA which doesn't not sign data).

Well, the web actually *did* support signatures but the browser-vendors
(and W3C...) sitting in their ivory towers simply declared browser plugins
as a bad thing without coming up with any kind of "replacement scheme".

WebCrypto does *not* match up with the browser-plugins.

Seen from that perspective the web is effectively going *backwards* while
the App-environment is security-wise getting stronger and stronger, with
Apple Pay as a recent example.

In theory the WebCrypto.Next project could address this "deficit" but I have
to date not seen anything that has even the slightest chance of getting adoption.

Anders