Re: Why Linked Data?

On 2/9/12 8:22 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 03:52 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> I've had a lot of feedback on the Web Credits spec so far and I
>> think there is a common question.
>>
>> "Why use Linked Data"
>
> You too, huh? :)
>
>> I'm unsure as a standards community we've explained the case well
>> enough to those that may be relatively new to the concept.  Perhaps
>> it's something we take for granted.
>
> I think you're right... very few know about Linked Data outside of the
> Web standards world.

But people do know about aspects of Linked Data, they just don't
recognize it via specs.

Linked Data is really just a contemporary slant on an old concept that
leverages hyperlinks and hypermedia resources. Thus, as I indicated to
Melvin in an early response, it needs context specific introductions
that apply to the task at hand.

>> I was wondering how we can make the case for linked data and whether
>> that motivation should be translated into our documents.
>
> An attempt to do this was made in a previous e-mail to David Nicol.
> Perhaps we need to add an item on the PaySwarm wiki?
>
>> Perhaps when things are still relatively early in standardization
>> process (Community Group) we should focus some time on discussing
>> the advantages of the LD approach to standarization?
>
> I'd be happy to have this discussion on here - we just need somebody to
> play the part of "non-believer" :)

I can play that role quite easily :-)

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen