Re: Web Payments WG Charter Changes

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 12, 2015, at 12:29 PM, Nick Shearer <nshearer@apple.com> wrote:
>
> Although I totally understand there are a lot of different opinions over what exactly constitutes a “digital wallet” I think the charter needs to settle on an explicit definition, rather than a pragmatic approach. It would be most unfortunate if, for example, Participant A in the WG had a completely different idea as to what “digital wallet” meant than Participant B.

I do not anticipate further changes to the definitions in the charter. Whether these definitions suffice for the WG deliverables can be determined by the WG.

Ian

>> On Oct 11, 2015, at 4:14 PM, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@opman.ca> wrote:
>>
>> RE: 6. Definition of "digital wallet"
>>
>> Based on earlier list discussions, it seems there's more than one "school of thought" about this. Certainly there is disagreement in the payments industry as to how to define it.
>>
>> According to Mobile Payments Today’s “Mobile Wallet Comparison Guide 2015,” it is as difficult to determine a precise definition for a ‘mobile wallet’ as it is to determine the total number of mobile wallet providers."
>> Source:
>> http://www.mobilepaymentstoday.com/static_media/filer_public/c0/5a/c05a213e-9f4b-4274-a661-fb2a872d602a/cardlinx_guide_final.pdf
>>
>> Therefore I'd like to suggest that this be approached as "Definitions of "digital wallet".
>>
>> By approaching this in a dualistic or if appropriate, a pluralistic way, we'd at least make progress towards understanding what the various camps agree and disagree about.
>>
>> A pragmatic consideration is that it will likely be much quicker to arrive at two or three interesting and useful definitions of "digital wallet" than to arrive a single one.
>>
>> Joseph Potvin
>> Project Coordinator, DataKinetics
>> Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations
>> The Opman Company | La compagnie Opman
>> jpotvin@opman.ca
>> Mobile: 819-593-5983
>> LinkedIn
>>
>>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Nitin Gaur <ngaur@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>>> I'd be happy to add to Digital Wallet definitions and non browser flows.

>>> :)
>>> Nitin Gaur
>>> IBM Blockchain
>>> 512-789-5300

>>> 3. Scope simplified to only include messages, flows, and "an API"
>>> 4. Mentions of a "mediating use agent" API
>>> 5. Shift from "standardize" to "Recommend"
>>>
>>> Definitions
>>> 6. Definition of "digital wallet"
>>>
>>> Require Capabilities
>>> 7. Simplification of introductory text
>>> 8. Pre-payment "with the user agent" vs. "via the user agent"
>>> 9. Negotiation - simplification of language
>>> 10. Addition of "deferred payment execution"
>>>
>>> Digital Wallets
>>> 11. Shortened definition of digital wallet
>>> 12. Non-browser payment flows API