Re: The case for registration as a technical specification

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
wrote:

> On 13 July 2015 at 16:23, Zach Koch <zkoch@google.com> wrote:
>
>> There's a lot happening in this thread, so I apologize in advance for
>> cherry picking out quotes and responding, but it seems like the cleanest
>> way to do it.
>>
>> As a general comment, the concept of a "wallet" and a
>> "payment instrument" is becoming more and more muddled. I think this is
>> worrisome, which I comment on more below. I thought of a wallet as
>> something much dumber (i.e. just an aggregator of payment instruments).
>>

> I don't think it should be muddled but the PayPal case confuses things. I
> think there is a misunderstanding which I'll try to clarify.
>
> The wallet can't just be an aggregator otherwise you have to define an
> instrument for every payment service provider and merchants have to
> explicitly support each of them. See my comment on Coinbase below.
>

>> I don't agree. PayPal hold a number of sources of funding (PayPal
>>> balance, credit cards etc) which are each payment instruments. I can see
>>> the argument that your PayPal account could advertise itself as a payment
>>> instrument but that takes away the ability of the payer to choose which
>>> instrument to use each time they pay out of their PayPal wallet.
>>

>> I agree with David. PayPal is best thought of as a (set of) payment
>> instrument(s). This notion of Visa, MC, PayPal etc all being wallets does
>> not, IMO, lead to a good user experience. You're asking users to think
>> about and understand the difference between Wallets and the various payment
>> instruments they support.
>>

> +1 PayPal is best thought of as a set of payment instruments (a wallet).
>
> I am not suggesting that MC or Visa are wallets (not sure how you read
> that from my response). I am suggesting they are payment instruments in the
> PayPal wallet.
>
> BUT PayPal can be an instrument too because you can have a PayPal balance
> without needing to have any cards loaded in your PayPal wallet (someone
> sent you money).
>
> So, as a user I can have my PayPal wallet loaded with a balance of $10 and
> also have a bunch of cards registered in there. If I visit merchant A
> website and he only supports VISA as a payment instrument my wallet
> supports the payment because it is holding a VISA payment instrument (note
> the merchant doesn't explicitly support PayPal as a payment instrument).
> When I visit merchant B website and she supports VISA, MC, Amex and PayPal
> my wallet can prompt me to use the instrument that I'd like to use for this
> transaction. Because the merchant explicitly supports PayPal I can use my
> PayPal wallet's balance and not one of the other registered instruments.
>

>> It also means that the merchant has to explicitly support PayPal as a
>>> payment instrument. If the merchant supports VISA cards as payment
>>> instruments and you have a VISA card in your PayPal wallet then you should
>>> be able to complete the payment.

> [...]

I'm quite confused about your proposal. How does money transfer in this
case from MasterCard in your PayPal wallet to my web site? A merchant has
to have a relationship with somebody that the user interacts with to get
paid. Say the merchant processes their payments through Stripe. The user
has a PayPal "wallet" and selects a MasterCard instrument. Can you walk me
through how the merchant gets paid?

Brett