Re: OWL issue: constraining members of a container in OWL:DL

Stephane - apologies for not getting back to you sooner - I wanted to
check w/the RDF Core folks to make sure we hadn't miscommunicated
with them.   I think the situation is pretty clear -- as Jeremy
Carroll put it in a note the webont mailing list [1]

In terms of the comment on RDF, I think we only really claim good
interoperability between OWL Full and RDF. Between OWL DL and RDF some
things work and some don't.

and the situation is that your current encoding is not in OWL DL.
You go on to say

" seems that it is not possible to do this in OWL-DL. Correct me if I
am wrong. I think this is major flaw in OWL-DL if it is not supported
because this scenario can occur many times."

but I don't really understand that.  OWL DL is a *limited subset*
(technically, a "profile')  of OWL and thus there should be no
expectation that it can handle all the things that may occur in using
the Owl vocabularies.   OWL itself handles the situation below just
fine - it's just that it goes outside the limits of OWL DL in terms
of what can be expressed in a provably decidable way.   Many things
will do that, and  many OWL tools will support those things just
fine.  In fact, section 1.4 of the OWL Reference [2] states:

RDF documents will generally be in OWL Full, unless they are
specifically constructed to be in OWL DL or Lite.

  Section 8 of that document is a discussion of the relation between
the three OWL sublanguages (Lite, DL, and Full) which explains our
restrictions and the purpose of them

I hope this addresses your problem, and I apologize for taking so
long to get back to you
  -Jim Hendler
p.s. If you wish to continue this discussion w/respect to how you
might rework your examples to be in OWL DL, a good place for that is
the www-rdf-logic@w3.org mailing list, which is intended for  general
discussion of these sorts of issues.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2004Feb/0026.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-ref-20040210

--
Professor James Hendler			  http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler
Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  240-277-3388 (Cell)