Re: OWL comment - blank nodes in OWL DL

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:21:10 +0100
From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
CC: public-webont-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: OWL comment - blank nodes in OWL DL

 > (b) Issue: bNodes as object in multiple triples
 >      Your response: no change due to lack of working group consensus
 >
 > The links you gave were all to the discussion before the last call.
 > Please give an indication of the WG discussion of this issue in response
 > to last call comments.
 >
 > Specifically you said:
 > [[
 > The WG was concerned that the handling of blank nodes has not yet
been shown to be able to be handled in the correspondence proof of
Appendix A of the Semantic Document [6].
 > ]]
 > However the following messages claim to provide such a proof:
 > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0294
 > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0017
 >
 > If this proof is indeed in error an analysis demonstrating the error
could supply the test case that we requested.
 >    [[
 >    A rationale for not permitting this in OWL DL
 >    should be given, preferably as a test case in OWL Full
 >    showing an OWL Full non-entailment that would hold in
 >    OWL DL if such triples were permitted.
 >    ]]

Dave,

The WebOnt WG discussed this restriction on bnodes at the Jul 24 telecon
[1] and decided not to lift the restriction at this point, but to mark
this as a "feature at risk" in the request for Candidate Recommendation
[2]. This request now states that this restriction is "at risk" for
changes, based on implementation experience.

Thanks again for your     ,
Guus Schreiber

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jul/0313.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/rqim.html