Re: Questions about Feature Synopsis for OWL Lite and OWL

On August 14, Frank van Harmelen writes:

> Lacy Lee wrote:
>
> > There is a reference to the predefined class "Nothing" in the section on
> > complex classes (right before section 5).  Are "Thing" and "Nothing" part of
> > Full OWL as opposed to OWL Lite?
>
> Thing is in OWL Lite, Nothing is only in Full OWL.
> This is also consistent with what the abstract syntax says ([1], just before
> section 4), but I agree that the Feature Spec could give the matter more
> emphasis.
> (the justification is probably that the presence of Nothing allows one to
> encode much more expressiveness than we would want to allow in OWL Lite)

In fact it is trivial to add Nothing to an OWL Lite ontology, e.g., by
asserting:

 subClassOf(Nothing,minCardinality(P,1))
 subClassOf(Nothing,maxCardinality(P,0))

for some property P.

For this reason I consider that leaving Nothing out of Lite was a
simple error.

Ian