Re: How to move forward

pá 5. 1. 2024 v 16:52 odesílatel Wouter Termont <woutermont@gmail.com>
napsal:

> Hi Jacopo,
>
> I'm not one for mailing lists; I must say I find them rather old-school
> and difficult to work with, especially to keep track of them parallel to
> similar discussions in other channels. However, with the purpose of moving
> forward, I find myself making an exception.
>
> Characterizing the active participants as 'split' between two options is
> i.m.o. neither productive nor correct. Both 'options' you list are, in
> fact, achievable together: we can (re)iterate over the current spec, with
> the introduction of profiles being one of those iterations (and the
> possible adoption of a second RDF syntax another). This is, I believe, how
> the vast majority of participants sees us moving forward: iteratively (not
> in one big PR) _and_ introducing profiles, at least for the
> authentication mechanism (TLS, OIDC ....). Any other way forward is
> therefore, i.m.o., not acceptable.
>
> Of course, there is a lot of disagreement between participants on a lot of
> different issues, but those can all be handled in time _within_ the
> iterative and profiled way summarized above. Whether profiles should also
> differentiate between RDF syntaxes or not, and which vocabulary the spec
> should employ, can all be resolved in further (later) iterations. Let's
> thus focus on the common ground we already have, and process that into a
> well-supported PR, before we tackle the next hot potatoes. If the group
> should desire, I am more than willing to write a minimal change request for
> the above as a first iteration.

Hi Wouter, whole heartedly agree on finding common ground, as a means to
make progress.

It strikes me that the real value here is in extension profiles.  Once we
get the ball rolling there, and use it in the wild, the utility will
quickly become apparent.

That in turn, will inform future CG decisions based on rough consensus and
running code.

Each milestone completed, then makes future, and longer-term, decisions
that much easier to reach consensus, because there will be fewer moving
parts, and implementation feedback.

In short, let's try and get the ball rolling with WebID extension profiles,
and build things using them.  How does that sound, to you?