Re: WebID and Content Negotiation

I would strongly argue that conneg is not an implementation detail,
but rather an orthogonal specification, and good specifications follow
the orthogonality principle:
https://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#orthogonal-specs

That allows HTTP protocols not having to define conneg in their specs.
SPARQL 1.1 Protocol refers to conneg with a one-liner:
https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-protocol/#conneg
That does not seem to have caused problems like the ones we are discussing here?

However when you try to make some of the media type special, e.g.
"canonical", you break the orthogonality, and conneg gets pulled into
the protocol specification. That is a clear architectural anti-pattern
IMO.