Re: WebID and Content Negotiation

On 1/27/22 3:57 PM, Martynas Jusevičius wrote:
> I would strongly argue that conneg is not an implementation detail,
> but rather an orthogonal specification, and good specifications follow
> the orthogonality principle:
> https://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#orthogonal-specs
>
> That allows HTTP protocols not having to define conneg in their specs.
> SPARQL 1.1 Protocol refers to conneg with a one-liner:
> https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-protocol/#conneg
> That does not seem to have caused problems like the ones we are discussing here?
>
> However when you try to make some of the media type special, e.g.
> "canonical", you break the orthogonality, and conneg gets pulled into
> the protocol specification. That is a clear architectural anti-pattern
> IMO.

Hi Martynas,

Here's a snippet from your example regarding the SPARQL spec:

        "2.1.5 Accepted Response Formats

Protocol clients*should*use HTTPcontent negotiation
<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec12.html>[RFC2616
<https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-protocol/#rfc2616>] to request response
formats that the client can consume. See below for more on potential
response formats."

SPARQL is a Query Language, Data Access Protocol, and Structured Data
Representation combo, and its formal specification isn't about
unambiguous entity denotation using HTTP URIs :)

The moment you bring content-negotiation in you are opening the same
can-of-worms opened by content-type specificity (via MUST or other
techniques).

Kingsley

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 9:48 PM Nathan Rixham<nathan@webr3.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Jacopo,

>>> Content Negotiation is an implementation detail that has no business
>>> being in the WebID spec.
>>
>> +1

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com