Re: WebID default serialization for WebID 2.x

On 1/22/22 2:25 PM, Martynas Jusevičius wrote:
> Wow this exploded fast.
>
> I still haven't seen any justification as to why a specific
> serialization should be mandated, or why it should be JSON-LD.
>
> Of course have WebID and Linked Data to do with content negotiation,
> as they are a subset of the WWW.
> If some software does only read JSON and cannot negotiate multiple RDF
> formats, then fix that software. Conneg is managed automatically if
> one is using a proper HTTP/REST framework.
>
> The only complaint I can identify with on this thread is the browser
> UI for the client certificates. We have worked around it by deploying
> two webapp instances -- one read-only on port 443 that does not prompt
> for client certs, and another read-write on a different port that
> does.
> I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for browser vendors to improve this.
> But that is a shortcoming of the browsers, and not of the WebID
> protocol.
>

> Martynas
> atomgraph.com
>
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 3:55 PM Melvin Carvalho
> <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Martynas,

Yep!

Even if we get out of the format SHOULD, MAY, MUST spec-quagmire, we
still have a formidable UI/UX issue in place that's controlled by browsers.

At OpenLink, we address this issue using delegation, plugin, and some
education about TLS sessions etc. Our hope is that at some point we will
end up with Identity Authenticity hitting the following fork in the road:

Delegation informed by Entity Relationship Type Semantics vs Blockchain
plus Wallet dogma.

It won't happen overnight, since the Web3 noise is loud and well funded.
That said, I do strongly believe we will eventually arrive at said fork
in the road.

Kingsley

>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 at 14:50, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
>>> Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2022-01-22 14:28:53)

>>> So you *don't* think we should *mandate* schema.org.
>>>
>>> Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>> No, I dont have a strong view on one particular vocab over another
>>
>> I think JSON(-LD) should be mandated, which would I think warrant a major version upgrade
>>
>> What form that JSON takes, I'm very open to.  It should be documented and, hopefully, easy to deploy tho.  The use case of dropping a webid into github.io resonates with me, which is something that is impractical to do today
>>

>>>   - Jonas
>>>
>>> --
>>>   * Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
>>>   * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
>>>
>>>   [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog: https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog