Re: Editing the WebID spec

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 at 17:25, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I understand that some of you may be more comfortable with smaller PRs
> > right from the start. However, the extent of the changes that we are
> > discussing is such that I would personally find it impossible to be even
> > remotely effective without an initial revision of the entire document.
> >
> > Second question: does anyone have anything against this approach?
> >
> > Lastly, the conversation around WebID is happening both on this mailing
> > list and on GitHub. I tend to favor mailing lists but I see some being
> > more active on GitHub; I am ok with trying to keep track of both.
> >
> > For those of you who are not following the conversation on both this list
> > and GitHub and that do not agree on relaxing the MUST on text/turtle into
> > a SHOULD, or any of the above, I would like to learn more about the
> reasons
> > behind your disagreement! I kindly ask you to give your feedback (in
> GitHub
> > or via this list) on
> > https://github.com/w3c/WebID/issues/3#issuecomment-1042324477 , which I
> quote:
> >
> >> However, one single mandatory serialization format breaks a number of
> use
> >> cases, from static hosting to most major CMSs. Basically, all cases that
> >> require serving a profile document in a human-friendly format without an
> >> easy way to enable/configure conneg.
> >>
> >> To this day, Wordpress still retains a huge market share as a publishing
> >> platform. Adding a data island within a page or template is easy, adding
> >> conneg to serve Turtle is a lot harder. [...]
> >>
> >> A similar argument can be made for most CMSs, for statically-generated
> >> websites, for hosting files on low-power devices and more.
> >>
> >> **If not by relaxing the requirement on a specific serialization format,
> >> how would you address these use cases?**
> > I hope you will allow me to try pushing the spec forward but I understand
> > the reservations you might have; I have never editer a spec, after all,
> and
> > I'm relatively new on the scene. I might make mistakes, I might be either
> > too pushy or not pushy enough, I might come across in ways I never
> intended.
> > Most importantly, I might bite more than I can chew, considering how long
> > WebID has lingered in the current draft state.
> >
> > The only thing I can guarantee is that, if you'll have me, I'll give this
> > my best. I am happy to answer any question you might have, publicly or
> > privately.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Jacopo.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Jacopo Scazzosi
> > https://jacoscaz.com
> > https://treesandrobots.com
> >

> Hi Jacopo,
>
> I support your generous offer to handle editing of this spec.
>
> If you can get the spec past SHOULD for "text/turtle" that would be
> wonderful, since said spec is headed nowhere without that fix.

It's worse than that, Turtle is currently a MUST in the 1.0 Editors Draft:

"A WebID Profile Document is a Web resource that must be available as
text/turtle"

"The server must provide a text/turtle"

"WebID requires that servers must at least be able to provide Turtle"

"The Agent requesting the WebID document must be able to parse documents in
Turtle"

https://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/identity/

In the spec RDFa is mentioned 19 times, and JSON(-LD) is not mentioned once

The other way round is better

> Most ironically, Turtle is my favorite notation; used on a daily basis
> (quite naturally) for all my note-taking; but still not the basis for
> imposing it on everyone else.
>
> The WebID spec could potentially help the world move from currently
> centralized PKI to a more desired decentralized PKI.

+1 to PKI ... there is a big opportunity there and appetite for this in the
modern web environment