Re: a common understanding of profiles

On 28 June 2015 at 22:13, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 06/27/2015 09:10 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> response
> so

> pretty
> it

> WG,

> be
> >> or
> >>
> >> These issues are strangely enough well known in the larger security,
> >> privacy, and cryptographic research community, which it seems the WebID
> >> community could use more interaction with. Good luck!
> >>
> >> I'll send a doc out if I have time, but the links are below from Ryan
> >> and Brad.
> >>

> > Harry, please dont say you would be "happy to" do something, unless you
> are
> > prepared to follow through with it.  If you claim there are well known
> > issues with something, then you can be expected to be asked what they
> are.
> > I think it's clear from the conversation above, that you're not up to
> date
> > with the subject material, in this case.  So soon after being asked by
> > TimBL not to quote him out of context, you seem to be doing it again.
>
> I am not quoting TimBL. I just said I support WebID as http URIs with
> the use of #s.

Quote: "by WebID you mean what TimBL means, i.e. identify people using URIs"

If you had been referring to the timbl's web axioms that anything of note
should be identified using a URIs, then sure.  But that's not what WebID
means.

WebIDs are HTTP URIs that support turtle.  Hash URIs are recommended.  That
is what's in the webid spec that timbl authored.

I hope this is clear now.

> > In future, If you provide pointers to back up your opinions, It will be
> > more productive, and that much easier to take seriously.
>
> Did you not see the poiners below from Brad Hill (Facebook) and Ryan
> Sleevi (Google)?
>
> You just have to scroll down. However here they are:
>
>  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2011May/0126.html
>

> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto-comments/2015Jun/0001.html
>

> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto-comments/2015Jun/0003.html
>
> It may take me a week or so to write this down, I can't do it overnight
> nor do I have lots of spare time. Again, all of these points were
> brought up privately (last time by Nadim from INRIA at the Social Web
> F2F) and ignored for a long time.
>
> That being said, the WebID+TLS community could use the fact that TLS 1.3
> is dropping support as an opportunity: The idea of using private key
> material to authenticate in a decentralized fashion is a *great idea*
> and everyone agrees (i.e FIDO, WebID+RSA with separate
> signing/encryption keys, etc.) it makes lots of sense.
>
> A redesign that works with privacy and security concerns would be
> welcomed. However, that would require the WebID community leaving its
> comfort zone and engaging with the security and privacy community
> seriously, which could would be very productive for all concerned. I
> hope you all can actually do that.

Regarding the 'well known' issues as you describe.

Your pointer is from 2011 and concerns in part performance.  Thanks for
sharing but a lot has changed since 2011.

The other two are from this month (June 2015), and are not directed at
WebID.  So one wonders to see how an issue raised just 4 days ago can be a
'well known' problem with WebID+TLS.

>From my experience, I have found Ryan Sleevi to be very conservative,
wanting to block ajax connections to localhost and web crypto api running
on http are things I think he had a hand in.

So, if you want to raise criticisms of WebID or WebID+TLS, either here, or
unprompted in other working groups, it would be helpful if you were
prepared to be asked to write up a summary of your concerns.