Re: a common understanding of profiles

On 06/27/2015 09:10 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 26 June 2015 at 23:22, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the offer of writing up the "well known" issues, that would be
>>> welcome.  I know you have strong views here, so, in general, a write up
>> or
>>> pointers (as above) would be appreciated.
>>
>> These issues are strangely enough well known in the larger security,
>> privacy, and cryptographic research community, which it seems the WebID
>> community could use more interaction with. Good luck!
>>
>> I'll send a doc out if I have time, but the links are below from Ryan
>> and Brad.
>>

> Harry, please dont say you would be "happy to" do something, unless you are
> prepared to follow through with it.  If you claim there are well known
> issues with something, then you can be expected to be asked what they are.
> I think it's clear from the conversation above, that you're not up to date
> with the subject material, in this case.  So soon after being asked by
> TimBL not to quote him out of context, you seem to be doing it again.

I am not quoting TimBL. I just said I support WebID as http URIs with
the use of #s.

> In future, If you provide pointers to back up your opinions, It will be
> more productive, and that much easier to take seriously.

Did you not see the poiners below from Brad Hill (Facebook) and Ryan
Sleevi (Google)?

You just have to scroll down. However here they are:

 https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2011May/0126.html

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto-comments/2015Jun/0001.html

 https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto-comments/2015Jun/0003.html

It may take me a week or so to write this down, I can't do it overnight
nor do I have lots of spare time. Again, all of these points were
brought up privately (last time by Nadim from INRIA at the Social Web
F2F) and ignored for a long time.

That being said, the WebID+TLS community could use the fact that TLS 1.3
is dropping support as an opportunity: The idea of using private key
material to authenticate in a decentralized fashion is a *great idea*
and everyone agrees (i.e FIDO, WebID+RSA with separate
signing/encryption keys, etc.) it makes lots of sense.

A redesign that works with privacy and security concerns would be
welcomed. However, that would require the WebID community leaving its
comfort zone and engaging with the security and privacy community
seriously, which could would be very productive for all concerned. I
hope you all can actually do that.

   cheers,
      harry