Re: YouID for Android Released

On 5/22/14 8:47 AM, Peter Williams wrote:
> The open web is now oligarchic. Any commercial news post has comments,
> placed by some (military) pr flack. On tv, companies will now make
> "older" folks a facebooky-thingy page, "with comments". Every phone
> comes with an always on mic, location sensor
> . Etc etc
>
> Lets design security policies and components for the reality in which
> we live.
>
> The idealism period is over.

Yes it is.

> What loosely coupled linked data trust models can do is fashion a new
> anti culture (call it crypto subversion, if u must). Out of that, in
> 20 years time there will be a swing back towards more true)personal
> ideals.

Yes, but right now, there's nothing idealistic about how YouID makes use
of existing standards without browser specificity i.e., the following
artifacts are just fodder for native OS apps and handlers:

1. x.509
2. pkcs#12
3. TLS
4. HTTP
5. URIs
6. RDF
7. HTML
8. RDFa
9. Microdata
10. Turtle
11. JSON-LD .

Then you have a Wizard (for iOS and Android) based UX orchestrating a
workflow that produces the following at conclusion:

1. pkcs#12 document -- every modern OS has a handler for this document
format that triggers the native keystore interaction UX (it just works)
2. HTML+Microdata, HTML_RDFa, HTML+Turtle, HTML+JSON-LD, Turtle, JSON-LD
documents -- eliminating distracting format wars of yore in RDF land
3. vCard document -- widely used format for contact details exchange,
every OS has an app binding for processing vCard documents
4. QRcode.

Net effect is that you can then start:

1. signing emails
2. encrypting emails
3. provide a verifiable identifier to be used by others refer to you.

> Right now. We are in the era of finding out how to dump nsa
> location-chip mission  for something less militaristic - like
> eliminate the taxi system, as we know it.
>
> I'm hopeful.I saw json-ld placed quite prominently at last weeks
> Microsoft teched show - and without any of the fratricidalbaggage.
> Folks will be interested in trust modeling for people (vs "the governed").
>
> You did good.

Thanks!

> I signed email with pkcs7 in 1991, built by an Algerian recent phd
> trying to avoid military service (which upset the local gchq types
> overseeing us), and an Iranian woman doing the management (even more
> upsetting to the overseers). The web is built on anti culture,
> particularly in crypto.

Yep!

Kingsley