Re: Request for Review of WebID specs before publishing

On 6 Sep 2013, at 21:48, Andrei Sambra <andrei.sambra@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Erich Bremer <erich@ebremer.com> wrote:
> On that note, should we add language to support certificate revocation lists in the cert ontology?
> See: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5280.txt
> 3.3 Revocation
> and
> 5.3.1. Reason Code
>
>    CRLReason ::= ENUMERATED {
>         unspecified             (0),
>         keyCompromise           (1),
>         cACompromise            (2),
>         affiliationChanged      (3),
>         superseded              (4),
>         cessationOfOperation    (5),
>         certificateHold         (6),
>              -- value 7 is not used
>         removeFromCRL           (8),
>         privilegeWithdrawn      (9),
>         aACompromise           (10) }
>
> If like you say, someone breaks RSA (like NSA ;-), how do we indicate in a standardize way to the WebID community why a key was disabled?  Deleting a key cuts off any issues, but if I am trying to validate why Henry posted something "not so nice" about me on https://my-profile.eu/ on 11/1/2013, it could have been a hacker who stole his private key.  Henry then, with CRL language in his WebID profile could indicate that a particular key was compromised on 11/2/2013 with a "cACompromise". Now instead of guessing, I have an idea that it wasn't probably him.  - Erich

This is issue-67
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/track/issues/67

Currently keys have been mathematical objects ( like numbers ). Adding a time stamp
would turn them into time slices of mathematical objects. This would require then changing
all implementations to look for time slice information in their verficiation algorithms.

An X509 Certificate seems to give a validity time to the certificate itself. (Two certs
could have the same keys and different "Not After" values. ), which is a bit similar
to the HTTP valdiity times of a representation.

We could add a revocation mecanism quite easily by adding a cert:revoked relation such as this

<#i> cert:revoked [ a :Revocation;
                               cert:revokedKey <#key1> ;
                               cert:fromDate "2013-08-12T01:12:12"^^xsd:dateTime ;
                               :comment "Lost my computer";
                              ] .

These revocations could then by subtyped for different reasons for revocations.
Of course the user should remove the cert:key relation from his WebID Profile, since that
establishes the current validity of the relation between the agent and the key ( as specified
by the HTTP validity time of the document of course )

Note how nothing in the cert ontology stops one from naming keys.

Henry