Re: Request for Review of WebID specs before publishing

On 6 September 2013 21:58, Andrei Sambra <andrei.sambra@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Erich Bremer <erich@ebremer.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 09/06/13 3:48 PM, Andrei Sambra wrote:
>>

>>  On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Erich Bremer <erich@ebremer.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  On that note, should we add language to support certificate revocation
>>> lists in the cert ontology?
>>> See: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5280.txt
>>> 3.3 Revocation
>>> and
>>> 5.3.1. Reason Code
>>>
>>>    CRLReason ::= ENUMERATED {
>>>         unspecified             (0),
>>>         keyCompromise           (1),
>>>         cACompromise            (2),
>>>         affiliationChanged      (3),
>>>         superseded              (4),
>>>         cessationOfOperation    (5),
>>>         certificateHold         (6),
>>>              -- value 7 is not used
>>>         removeFromCRL           (8),
>>>         privilegeWithdrawn      (9),
>>>         aACompromise           (10) }
>>>
>>> If like you say, someone breaks RSA (like NSA ;-), how do we indicate in a standardize way to the WebID community why a key was disabled?  Deleting a key cuts off any issues, but if I am trying to validate why Henry posted something "not so nice" about me on https://my-profile.eu/ on 11/1/2013, it could have been a hacker who stole his private key.  Henry then, with CRL language in his WebID profile could indicate that a particular key was compromised on 11/2/2013 with a "cACompromise". Now instead of guessing, I have an idea that it wasn't probably him.  - Erich
>>>
>>>   True, but in that case, there is no indication that a particular key
>> was used by Henry when he auth'd to https://my-profile.eu/ when he
>> posted. This mechanism would involve a full traceability of the user's
>> actions, on all the services he visited. Maybe we drop it for now and open
>> an ISSUE on the tracker, to deal with it once we're done with the review.
>>

>> Unless the public key is kept but flagged as disabled.  That would be a
>> different process though.  I was thinking in terms of digitally signed
>> RDF/data with my WebID.  Perhaps you're right, flag it for later.  - Erich
>>

> Yes, digitally signing RDF would be great. However, unless we come up with
> a canonical representation of RDF data (independent of serialization),
> there is no way to do it currently.

Signing is in quite advanced stages in the payments group using, for
example, JSON LD.  This is what the web keys spec was designed for.

WebID + TLS profiles are currently not an ideal candidate for signing
because most WebIDs are bnodes, and the spec does not discourage this
practice, indeed Tim's key is a bnode.  The only 3 WebIDs that I know of,
that can sign are mine, Kingsley's and Toby's.