Re: Problem with Hash based Linked Data URIs

On 2/16/13 10:04 AM, Mo McRoberts wrote:
> As should be blindingly obvious to anybody who's worked with them, hash-based URIs are principally useful where a document describes a _single_ entity within its sphere of reference (though the nature of triples and many ontologies is that there may well be parts of descriptions of other things).
>
> Ontologies/vocabs are a one solid case where it's really not a good idea to use them because it's hard to split them up into separately-served resources later.
>
> (Ironically, as a redirecting service, if the PURL for GR had been http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1/ instead of http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#, it could have redirected to either a hash-based or a hash-less URI — there's no benefit to hash-based URIs if you're always inserting a redirect _anyway_).
>
> On the other hand in the case of "this is the document which describes me" or "this is the document which describes this book", it makes a lot of sense to use hash-based URIs because that document has a notion of a primary topic while anything else described is a supporting adjunct. Even if it's aggregated into a dataset, the subject used in that dataset would be a URI which resolves to that one-thing document URI.

Correct! But as you can see, that's an implementation detail that
doesn't warrant a totally unnecessary notice in a document that purports
to formally define what a WebID actually is. A software engineer
building a WebID based solution will weigh the pros and cons as part of
an implementation effort etc..

I have one goal: getting Henry and Andrei to remove the unnecessary
notice about hashless URIs from the current WebID spec. That's it.

Kingsley