Re: WEbID Todos

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 13:18:57 +0100
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
CC: Ben Laurie <benl@google.com>, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>, "public-webid@w3.org" <public-webid@w3.org>
Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> So there was 3 concepts mentioned in the IETF doc we looked at.
>
> 1. Linkability -- you can use webid for this
>
> 2. Unlinkability (A) anonymity -- you dont need to use a cert for this
>
> 2. Unlinkabiity (B) Pseudo Anonymity
>
> I think it's the pseudo anonymity that seems to be raising concerns.

Perhaps this is of no concern to WebID, the protocol, or the abstract
protocol - and more to do with people's mental model.

I can set up a service which is only accessible if you use a
cert&identifier issued by it, anonymously on request. I can email that
new cert and identifier to this group (perhaps encrypted with a shared
key), and one of you can use it once to WebID auth with aforementioned
service and pass on some information / post a message / whatever.

WebID works fine for that, and it's anonymous.

The point is, that WebID doesn't require that any identifier used is
traceable back to a real world agent. It just requires that a
URI+associated keypair are used, that a the service being auth*d with
"trusts".

Make sense?