Re: privacy definitions -- was: WebID questions

On 1 Oct 2012, at 15:54, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> On 1 October 2012 14:51, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

>>> Specifically, I am asking why the users facility that Chrome has is
>>> not good enough...
>>
>> Because I cannot tell:
>>
>> - when I am anonymous ( as opposed to being tracked without my knowing it)
>> - what identity I am using when on that site: and this is just as valid for
>> cookie identification as for certificate identification. I can have multiple
>> profile accounts associated with different cookies. I can have multiple
>> identifying certificates. I want _my_browser_ to tell me which one I am using,
>> and not have to rely on the server, which may have more or less good
>> implementations for this.
>
> The idea is you create a user per identity. Then the browser is
> telling you which you are using.

But that does not solve the problem. Because you could go away from
your computer, someone log you in under a different name, and you not
know. Or you could have logged in accidentally under the wrong identity.
The browser should tell you what it is sending, because the browser
is what you control. As user you don't control the server. This is the
transparency requirement.