Re: Hash Discussion Overview II - the return

On Dec 8, 2012, at 02:27 PM, Henry Story wrote:

> The WebID is an http URI is a marketing decision

As a marketing decision, it belongs *NEITHER* in the primary
definition of "WebID" *NOR* in the restrictions of any spec.

Guidance, How-To, even Best Practice?  Fine.  Those are more
marketing in focus.

But the *architectural* documents we are currently contemplating
are not the place for *marketing*!

> to help us make it simpler to specifying things.

Now you're saying it's not about marketing, but about making
the spec author's job easier.

Difficult things always expose that difficulty *somewhere*.

The question is where (and this list is certainly incomplete) --

1. Spec author
2. Implementor/Server Programmer
3. Deployer/Client Programmer
3. End User

I submit that it is best for WebID, that the challenges be
felt by we who are best equipped to handle and address them.

> Other specs make these types of decisions. There is nothing stopping future specs being more relaxed, just as the meaning of HTML is constantly evolving.

And it is very easy and quick to put out such a future, more
relaxed spec, isn't it?  Just as easy and quick as it is to
put out this first, less relaxed spec....

> We are not saying that *only* http URIs can refer to agents.

... except within WebID, because "a WebID is [*only*] an HTTP(s)
URI which denotes an Agent."

> We are just restricting ourselves here to HTTP URIs for works in different specs, such as LDP etc, WebID Auth, etc...

Saying "For simplicity in authorship, this document will only
address HTTP URIs, but any scheme could theoretically be used"
would be in line with your above.

But that is not what has been said or done to date.

> The Identity Interoperability work <http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/Identity_Interoperability> shows that you can work with a lot of other identifiers, but it is a lot more work then to specify things, and it means that people looking to implement a WebID have a much steeper curve to get in.

Specification may be harder, but people trying to implement don't
necessarily have a steeper hill to climb.

Ted