Re: Should we add variable font instancing to the patch/subset protocol

On 2021-03-29 20:00, Garret Rieger wrote:
> In the current proposal for patch subset the client specifies the
> desired subset using only the desired unicode codepoints. However, for
> variable fonts it's also potentially useful if the client is able to
> specify the specific portion of the variable design space that is
> needed. This would allow the server to optionally narrow down the
> design space of the generated subset to further reduce the bytes to
> transfer.

I agree and think this is likely to offer significant saving. We should
measure, of course, but it looks like the number of axes is going up in
VF over time, so axis dropping and axis subsetting are likely to help
significantly.

It does mean though that in addition to requesting more glyphs in
response to subsequent page loads, we might need to add back axes which
were dropped but are now needed.

--
Chris Lilley
@svgeesus