From: Levantovsky, Vladimir [mailto:Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 3:25 PM
To: w3c-webfonts-wg (public-webfonts-wg@w3.org) <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
Subject: WebFonts F2F details and proposed agenda - Tuesday, Sep. 3, 2019

Hello WG,

In preparation for our face-to-face meeting next week, I'd like to share the following information for your review:

Date and time: September 3rd, 2019, 9 AM - 5 PM Japan local time
(UTC: Sep. 3, 00:00 - 08:00; US Pacific: Sep. 2, 5 PM - 1 AM next day; US Eastern: Sep. 2, 8 PM - 4 AM)

Location
Miraikan National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation,
2-3-6 Aomi, Koto-ku, Tokyo, Japan (Tel.: +81-3-3570-9151)
https://www.miraikan.jst.go.jp/en/guide/route/
Room TBD - hosted by ATypI

Attendance
The following WG members have confirmed their F2F attendance:
Vladimir Levantovsky, Roderick Sheeter, Ken Lunde, Jason Pamental, Garret Rieger, Chris Lilley, Myles Maxfield, Ned Holbrook.

Teleconferencing: IRC and Zoom meeting facilities will be available for the duration of the meeting.

Proposed agenda:

1.       Introductions / Administrivia (15 min)
- Charter review: timeline, deliverables [0];
- Review open action items [1];
- Future WG telcon scheduling;

2.       PFE Evaluation Report topics (~ 1 hour)
- Summary of work done to date:
   Analysis of existing solutions [2, 3];
   Font data analysis:  [4-7] (also see original email items, unfortunately web archive doesn't preserve inline images);
- Discussion of the proposed PFE approaches: binary patch-based, byte-range, hybrid (including modified hybrid approach) [2, 8-10]

3.       Planning / future work items (~ 2 hours)
- Performance analysis framework of proposed PFE approaches [11] (~ 30 min):
   Languages / technologies for framework to use;
   Repo location
- Simulation Planning (including implementation steps / timeline / contributors ~ 1 hour):
   Patch-based subset font loading (including hybrid approach variants);
   Patch & subset protocol design [12];
   HTTP range request font loading (font preprocessor and loading simulation) [8];
   Unicode-range font loading simulation;
- Input data set / Font corpus (< 30 min):
   Ways to acquire input data / page view data set;
   Font contributions
(Lunch break ~ 1 hour)

4.       Additional items for discussion (~ 1 hour 30 min)::
- Variable fonts and PFE;
- Value of PFE for simple & complex scripts;
- Harfbuzz subsetter;

5.       AOB

6.       Dinner (TBD)

Your input and additional topic suggestions are very much appreciated!
Many thanks to Garret who contributed his proposed agenda items.

Thank you,
Vlad