Re: DSIG and other issues

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@google.com> wrote:
> My understanding of the thread is that some or all versions of MS Office
> (quite possibly only MS Word) make a decision regarding whether to use
> OpenType Layout features for Latin and other simple scripts based on the
> presence of a DSIG table in a TrueType-outlines OpenType font.
>
> My personal conclusion is that this has no implications on webfonts and as
> such should be ignored.

That sounds great to me, esp. MS Office/Word are unlikely to consume
WOFF 2.0 font files anytime soon (if ever).

> My recommendation is that the spec be changed, to recommend that if the
> original font had a DSIG table, then all signatures in the DSIG table be
> removed.  Ie. an encoder is encouraged to keep an a DSIG table with zero
> signatures.  That's a valid table that is only eight bytes.  (00 00 00 01 00
> 00 00 00).

Interesting.  So rather than removing the table all together (as the
latest draft currently recommends, http://www.w3.org/TR/WOFF2/), just
removing all of the signatures from the table if present.

That sound great!