W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webfonts-wg@w3.org > October 2010

Conference call minutes Oct. 6th

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:27:29 -0400
To: "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <7534F85A589E654EB1E44E5CFDC19E3D049DDC154E@wob-email-01.agfamonotype.org>
Dear all,

Please see below the minutes of the discussion we had today on the phone. The attendance was low, and the discussion was limited to the issues Håkon, Erik and I could address. I believe we reached an important agreement to have a normative sentence that states that the notes are non-normative, but at the same time we agreed that the notes should not contradict the normative parts and that it is okay to use strong words "must" or "must not" in the note *if* the same is true for the normative part of the spec.

We also agreed to rewrite the first note (in section 1), I will introduce the proposed text for email list discussion in a separate email.

Some logistic issues we need to address:

1)      I will be traveling to China next week and may not be able to attend the next phone call (I won't know for sure until later next week). There is a risk that we may not have a telecom on Oct. 13.

2)      I would like to ask you to be prepared to discuss the agenda for the TPAC F2F in Lyon on November 4 and 5. Chris, if you could please set up a Wiki page for the agenda discussions (action 32), it would be a great place to capture all the agenda topics.

3)      My 'aggressive' plan is to try to make the spec ready for the Last Call WD publication, before or shortly after the F2F,if possible.

The minutes of the teleconference is below and also can be found at http://www.w3.org/2010/10/06-webfonts-minutes.html

- DRAFT -
WebFonts Working Group Teleconference
06 Oct 2010

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2010/10/06-webfonts-irc>

Attendees
Present
Regrets
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
erik
Contents

 *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2010/10/06-webfonts-minutes.html#agenda>
 *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2010/10/06-webfonts-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

________________________________

<Vlad> trackbot start telcon

<Vlad> trackbot, start telcon

<trackbot> Date: 06 October 2010

scribe erik

on the phone, Vlad, Håkon, Erik

Håkon; the normative part of the spec should mention that the notes are non-normative

discussion on normative / non-normative and other W3 specs

Vlad: mixing up normative / non-normative is messy
... not enough participants to decide anythign.

Håkon: can't accept notes to become normative (did I get that right?)

Håkon: in CSS "notes are informative, not normative"

Vlad: concern that the spec becomes fragmented
... if notes are non-normative, can the language be a bit more clear cut?

Håkon: best to avoid MUST in non-normative

using normative language in non-normative notes can open arguments and raise confusion

Vlad, Håkon, I lost connection and can't follow the discussion

Dialing in, but zakim does not answer.

gentlemen?

No answer when I dial in. Can I be excused of my scribe duties?

<howcome> The WOFF-packaged data will typically be decoded to its original sfnt format for use by existing font-rendering APIs that expect OpenType font data, but such a decoded font should not be exposed to other documents or applications.

That sounds reasonable.

<howcome> The WOFF-packaged data will typically be decoded to its original sfnt format for use by existing font-rendering APIs that expect OpenType font data, but such a decoded font must not be exposed to other documents or applications.

<howcome> The WOFF-packaged data will typically be decoded to its original sfnt format for use by existing font-rendering APIs that expect OpenType font data, but such a decoded font must not be made availabl to other documents or applications.

<Vlad> Agreement to add a normative sentence that says that notes are non-normative

<Vlad> The notes should be coherent with the normative text and should not be ambiguous

<Vlad> The notes should help the implementors and users to undertstand the meaning of the normative text, and should not make any confcliting or ambiguous statements

<Vlad> Agreement to rewrite the first note to make it coherent with the normative text

<Vlad> We will continue this discussion on the email list

<Vlad> The call is adjourn, we will continue the discussions on the email list

<Vlad> Please submit your proposed agenda items for the F2F in November

I have to run.

Summary of Action Items
[End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 6 October 2010 15:35:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:04:23 UTC