RE: non-normative best practices & file caching

From: Sergey Malkin <sergeym@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 21:21:05 +0000
To: Christopher Slye <cslye@adobe.com>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
Christopher wrote:

> "...but decoded files should not be installed or used by other processes or documents on the system."

This sound like UA should be able to control all other programs on user's system. This should sound something like "should not be made available for use by other processes or documents". This covers installation too.

Håkon wrote:

> I.e., I think it's ok for browsers to cache decoded files, but they shouldn't be exposed in other ways.

This bothers me a bit. I understand that goal is performance. But this is one of things people did not like about raw fonts lying around on user's disks. With unpacked fonts cached, users will be able to grab naked OpenType font binary, stripped form WOFF metadata or private data. Some encryption/obfuscation may be welcome.

Thanks,
Sergey