Re: non-normative best practices & file caching

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 13:42:18 -0700
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
To: Christopher Slye <cslye@adobe.com>
I think the point was that it should \not be 'trivial' for an end-user to find the file and simply copy it (e.g. into a fonts folder), so that if there is a cache (which the original text doesn't forbid) the font should not be visible/exposed as a file on the user's disk;  some 'hiding' is needed.

On Oct 1, 2010, at 11:00 , Christopher Slye wrote:

> Now that you mention it, I wonder if it's such a good idea to place that much weight on the word "install". We don't really want anything using the font, whether it's installed or not.
>
> Maybe I would change your suggested language: "... but decoded files should not be installed or used by other processes or documents on the system."
>
> -Christopher
>

> On Oct 1, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>
>> Further, I suggest one change to appendix C:
>>
>> The WOFF-packaged data will typically be decoded to its original
>> sfnt format for use by existing font-rendering APIs that expect
>> OpenType font data, but such a decoded font should not be exposed as
>> a file on disk, and must not be installed "globally" for use by
>> other processes or documents on the system.
>>
>> should be:
>>
>> The WOFF-packaged data will typically be decoded to its original
>> sfnt format for use by existing font-rendering APIs that expect
>> OpenType font data. It is acceptable for clients to store decoded
>> files in a cache, but decoded files should not be installed for use
>> by other processes or documents on the system.
>>
>> I.e., I think it's ok for browsers to cache decoded files, but they
>> shouldn't be exposed in other ways.

David Singer