Re: PointerLock and Gamepad APIs

On 11/24/11 8:11 AM, ext Joćo Eiras wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:04:19 +0100, Darin Fisher <darin@google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Back in September, it was proposed to expand the charter of the
>> WebEvents
>> WG to include PointerLock (formerly known as MouseLock) and Gamepad APIs
>> [1].  This seemed like a logical home for them given that both of these
>> APIs pertain to input event systems.
>>
>> However, one thing that became apparent was that Apple was not
>> willing to
>> join the WebEvents WG [2].  Since we, the Chrome team at Google, work on
>> WebKit alongside Apple engineers, it is a bit undesirable for us to
>> not be
>> able to work together with Apple in the WGs, which develop the specs
>> that
>> we implement in WebKit.  From an efficiency point of view, it is far
>> easier
>> if we can discuss APIs in a single forum instead of having to relay
>> concerns between forums.
>>
>> I'd like to therefore propose that instead of expanding the charter of
>> WebEvents to include PointerLock and Gamepad, that we instead add those
>> APIs to another WG such as WebApps.  I believe they make sense in
>> WebApps
>> given the scope of work being done there and the parties involved.
>>

> Both are clearly related to events and pointing devices, so if this
> group was created, it makes sense for it to continue working on such
> specifications.
>
> If those new specs should go into the WebApps group, then there is
> little point in keeping this group, and move what has been done so far
> also into WebApps.

The last part (starting with the ",") of Darin's P.S. comment isn't
accurate:

[[
[2] Recently, Apple disclosed some patents for the Touch Events
specification
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011OctDec/0118.html],
which is currently the only deliverable for the WebEvents WG.
]]

Besides the Touch Events spec, the Web Events WG's charter also includes
in its scope a "high-level representational events" spec. No explicit
work has yet started on the later spec, mainly because we expected to
collaborate with the PFWG on it and other priorities "won". However, the
latest proposal is that this intentional event spec (now referred to as
"Indie UI: Events 1.0") will be a joint deliverable between Web Events
and the proposed "Indie UI" WG [IndieUI] and not PFWG, and that Apple's
[UII4ARIA] spec will be the initial contribution for the spec.

-AB

[IndieUI] http://www.w3.org/2011/11/indie-ui-charter
[UII4ARIA]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2010JulSep/att-0106/UserInterfaceIndependence.html