Re: PointerLock and Gamepad APIs

From: João Eiras <joaoe@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 14:11:14 +0100
To: public-webevents@w3.org
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:04:19 +0100, Darin Fisher <darin@google.com> wrote:

> Back in September, it was proposed to expand the charter of the WebEvents
> WG to include PointerLock (formerly known as MouseLock) and Gamepad APIs
> [1].  This seemed like a logical home for them given that both of these
> APIs pertain to input event systems.
>
> However, one thing that became apparent was that Apple was not willing to
> join the WebEvents WG [2].  Since we, the Chrome team at Google, work on
> WebKit alongside Apple engineers, it is a bit undesirable for us to not
> be
> able to work together with Apple in the WGs, which develop the specs that
> we implement in WebKit.  From an efficiency point of view, it is far
> easier
> if we can discuss APIs in a single forum instead of having to relay
> concerns between forums.
>
> I'd like to therefore propose that instead of expanding the charter of
> WebEvents to include PointerLock and Gamepad, that we instead add those
> APIs to another WG such as WebApps.  I believe they make sense in WebApps
> given the scope of work being done there and the parties involved.

Both are clearly related to events and pointing devices, so if this group
was created, it makes sense for it to continue working on such
specifications.

If those new specs should go into the WebApps group, then there is little
point in keeping this group, and move what has been done so far also into
WebApps.