Re: Request from WebRTC

On Mar 17, 2014 5:29 AM, "Aymeric Vitte" <vitteaymeric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reopening this one, the project mentioned below is moving to WebRTC, the
draft specs are there [2]

> What was the conclusion of this thread?

Exactly what is written on this thread.

I still oppose integration as being wrong on a both technical and
conceptual grounds.

> I have read it several time and still didn't get exactly what was the
difficulty to handle the keys for DTLS à la WebCrypto.

> I  could not read the latest draft due to the mail I just sent, but [2]
does raise some questions and I don't think it's currently possible with
the WebCrypto API, using generatKey with RSA:

> - how can I get the public key fingerprint?

exportKey(spki)+digest()

> - how can I get the public key modulus?

RsaKeyAlgorithm object that hangs off Key.algorithm

https://github.com/Ayms/node-Tor#anonymous-serverless-p2p-inside-browsers---peersm-specs

> Le 14/11/2013 10:14, Richard L. Barnes a écrit :
>>

>> On Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Aymeric Vitte wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting, I was wondering how WebRTC was handling DTLS between
peers, so despite of all security concepts that are opposed to me each time
I mention self-signed certificates, all of a sudden, a Web API, WebRTC, is
allowed to use them (to switch later to CA-issued certificates... for
peers???)

>> Obviously, if you’re using self-signed certificates, you need some other
mechanism for authentication.  WebRTC uses an “Identity Provider” system to
layer authentication on top of any certificates in DTLS, including
self-signed.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtcweb-security-arch-07#section-5.6>

>>> It seems like we are back to certificates, expose certificates and TLS
subjects.

>>> Maybe what is needed finally is to use the WebCrypto Key interface and
a "secondary feature" TLS/DTLS secure implementation.

>>> More generally, I have not looked at the WebRTC ideas to "avoid
tracking", but I put together a study case (see at the end of [1]) how
WebRTC could potentially be used and insure privacy at the same time, the
conclusion is that the whole world knows what you are doing so WebRTC can
certainly not be used if you care about privacy, and I don't see any
reliable means to encrypt things between peers not involving them sharing a
secret (ie know each other, so impossible in practice), that's not the
concern of this group but if the conclusion is wrong or limited then please
advise separately.

>> The tracking risk arises when an app use the same public key repeatedly,
either across several different peers or multiple times with the same peer.
 This is different from the usual fingerprinting, since it’s peer-to-peer
fingerprinting instead of server-based.

>> --Richard
>>

>>> [1]: http://www.peersm.com
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Aymeric

(as current WebRTC implementations are doing), with CA-issued certificates
as future work.

WebCrypto WG

WebRTC apps