Re: PBKDF2 questions

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> I have another question about PBKDF2.
>
> We have decided that generateKey will explicitly ask the user for a
> password. The advantage is that the UA can implement a non-spoofable UI and
> the user will have the advantage that the site will never see the clear
> password, only the derived key (for this reason, I required that
> extractable be false when generateKey is called here).
>
> There are two issues (neither of which should block last call):
> - do we need to place any requirements on the deriveKey parameters that
> the site can use to avoid it being easy to work backwards from derived keys
> to the password ?

No. The site is choosing it's own security parameters. The UA is making no
statement about them, merely facilitating the 'hands off approach'

> - it seems it is non-trivial for UAs to implement this in such a way that
> the UX will be one that sites will choose to use. A plain dialog saying "
> www.blah.com wants you to enter a password" is not very user-friendly.
> Sites will generally want to provide some prompt explaining what the
> password is for and also often sites want to place restrictions on password
> strength (minimum length, contains upper and lower case etc.). If the UA's
> native dialog doesn't have these properties, sites will likely choose to
> prompt for the password the old-fashioned way, to the user's detriment. Do
> we need to consider whether the site should provide prompt text, a strength
> test callback etc.

No. If a site wants to trade deniability for usability, it can.

The generateKey is not at all about improving security for users, per se.
Sites can still misbehave. It's a way for sites or applications that want
to be able to state "I didn't have the key" to be able to state so.