Re: Bug # 24410 - AES CTR descriptions

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Vijay Bharadwaj <
Vijay.Bharadwaj@microsoft.com> wrote:

>  I agree that the implementation cannot detect all cases of counter wrap.
>

> The question is, should it error out in the cases where it can? What is
> the counter-argument – is it that there is a legitimate use for counter
> wrap, or is it that catching some cases gives a false sense of security?

I think the actual number of situations where an implementation can detect
counter wrap to be fairly low. I can certainly state that the bookkeeping
overhead of (reliably) implementing counter-wrap is such that it's unlikely
to be implemented within Chromium, and I would be quite surprised if any
other implementations did - because it's something that none of their
underlying cryptographic libraries 'natively' support (for exactly the same
reason).

So it's just a matter of whether or not the current definition of the
AES-et-al methods 'permit' an implementation to implement such detection,
if they could. I think the definitions currently provide the latitude to
allow it - again, using the same argument as odd-bits of RSA moduli or
'internal' library errors.

I think it'd be a bad idea for the spec to recommend or suggest something
that would not / cannot be widely implemented.