Re: [W3C Web Crypto WG] CfC : Call for Consensus on the integration of curve25519 in WG deliverables (please vote until the 26th of August)

My opinion is the same as Richard insofar as"We should agree on the
principle that we will support the next generation curves that CFRG
and TLS agree on, and work to support that once it's decided." But we
need to operationalize what we mean by "support".

The choices are having that curve in the *extension specs* versus
*main spec*.  Given that all major browser vendors I know of will
implement the recommended set of curves from CFRG to TLS and so
exposing those to WebCrypto makes sense - and given the liaison
relationship between the IETF and W3C and our commitment to harmonize
as much as possible our specs - it seems that that those recommended
curves should be in the main spec text. Given that extensibility is
still a bit blurry, it's hard to claim we have a good solution for
extension specs quite yet. However, I also agree we can't wait around
forever for CFRG.

This in mind, we can move forward by either:

1) Have a "placeholder" text for it as a "Feature at Risk". The NUMS
text could be that placeholder, with a note saying that this may be
removed/changed if TLS/CFRG do not recommend NUMS.

and/or

later in the main spec text.

I see no harm in either of these proposals and think either would
satisfy the problem. It's not as simple as adding in NUMS or not. What
we need is a commitment to support whatever TLS/CFRG recommend.

If TLS/CFRG do *not* recommend a set of non-NIST curves by the
necessary timeline for WebCrypto (i.e. getting out of CR by end of the
year), in the first case we simply drop the "Feature at Risk" and in
the second case we simply do not go back to "Last Call" but progress
to Rec as normal.

I'm happy to check in with TLS/CFRG on the timeline and tell them we
are considering an official dependency with them.

Note in the long-run having the spec being extensible is exceedingly
important, as regardless of the non-NIST curves recommended by CFRG,
various governments and other folks will want their own crypto
algorithms. In this regard, the only other issue holding us from going
out of CR is likely the lack of clarity over extension specs. While
the spec does note that "This algorithm must be extensible, so as to
allow new cryptographic algorithms to be added" there is little
guidance after that.

   cheers,
      harry