Re: ISSUE-9 [was Re: ISSUE-30: Key import/export?]

On 03/04/2013 06:32 PM, Mark Watson wrote:
> [...]
>>>                           AlgorithmIdentifier? algorithm,
>>>                           bool extractable = false,
>>>                           KeyUsage[] keyUsages = []);
>>>    KeyOperation exportKey(KeyFormat format, Key key);

>>> I don't know why you say that. These are not issues that have been
>>> raised in any discussion of import or export. Perhaps you
>>> misunderstand?
>> I think that's ISSUE-9. How does the normative text or proposed text deal with same-origin as well?
>>> I disagree. There should be no need for any prompt.
>> I think this goes back to ISSUE-9.
>>
>> If the Web Crypto library defines a way to import/export keys to locations outside the brower without any user-interaction, that will likely have problematic privacy concerns. For example, what would stop a user-agent from placing a key somewhere as a unique
>>
>> Unlike localStorage, the user can't delete those easily from the browser, like they can remove their cookies. Thus, we run the risk of creating "superkeys" that work like "supercookies".
>>
>> I'm OK with that as long as the user has some "interaction" ala File API in selecting a key for import or having to confirm they are exporting a key to some off browser location. Otherwise, the browser could silently place keys on user machine and import them at a later date. If same-origin isn't specified, they could even do so across multiple origins.
>>
>> Thus, let's not close ISSUE-9 till we have discussed this and had a Privacy Interest Group review. Note this is core to primary features, ala "key storage and control beyond the lifetime of a single session. In addition, the API should be asynchronous and must prevent or control access to secret key material and other sensitive cryptographic values and settings."
> I'm not sure I understand the problem here. Import/export deal with moving keys between the JS application and Key objects. Key objects are ephemeral, in the sense that they no longer exist when the browser is closed. They're available only to the script which created them (and other scripts it can pass JS objects to). They can't in themselves be used for tracking unless they are stored somewhere more permanent and the only places they can be so stored are existing web storage mechanisms - with all the existing same-origin and user control protections.
>
> Likewise, if a script exports a Key, it just means the script now has access to the actual keying material in some form. Again, the script can only communicate and store this in the same way it can any other kind of information.
>
> Furthermore, if there is a privacy issue associated with communicating an exported key somewhere then there is also a privacy issue with simply using that key: one could simply encrypt a string of zero bytes with this key and use the result for tracking. In that case it's not export that needs user authorization but access to the key at all (as may be the case for pre-provisioned keys, for example).

Again, to clarify - what I mean is key importing/exporting is the import
and export of a Key Object outside of the browser and thus beyond the
lifetime of a single session and without the obvious same-origin/user
control protection.

That is why I brought up File API, and it seems this is relevant to
ISSUE-9 and the scope of the API in general.