From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:sleevi@google.com]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 11:14 AM
To: Davenport, James L.
Cc: Vijay Bharadwaj; Arun Ranganathan; public-webcrypto@w3.org; estark@mit.edu
Subject: Re: Use Cases | ACTION-13 Revisited [and latest API draft comments]

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Davenport, James L. <jdavenpo@mitre.org> wrote:
> On the draft API, section 2 "Use Cases," I would also still like to see the previously mentioned out-"of-band provisioned" keys in the use cases:
>

> A national agency uploads each citizen's benefits summary report to the cloud. For privacy and security reasons, the reports are stored in an encrypted form. This national agency announces on their web site the availability of the reports. Each citizen can then open a browser, go to the web site for this national agency and log on, which takes them to their encrypted report. The encrypted report is fetched by the browser, along with some HTML and JavaScript.  The JavaScript requests the Crypto API to decrypt the report using an out-of-band provisioned key. The API returns the decrypted report and the JavaScript then inserts it into the HTML, which is then displayed on the browser screen.
>
> A financial brokerage firm generates and stores quarterly reports for each of its members to the cloud. For privacy and security reasons, the reports are stored in an encrypted form. Each member can then open a browser, go to the web site for the financial brokerage firm and log on, which takes them to their encrypted quarterly report. The encrypted report is fetched by the browser, along with some HTML and JavaScript.  The JavaScript requests the Crypto API to decrypt the report using the external decryption capabilities of the external device, using this device's out-of-band provisioned key. The API returns the decrypted report and the JavaScript then inserts it into the HTML, which is then displayed on the browser screen.
>
> --JD

James,

Apologies if I've misread, but are both examples you provide different in the capabilities they require from the API, or are they simply differences in how the API might be consumed?

Further, aren't these both examples of the currently documented "Protected document exchange" use case (currently section 2.2)? Is there a capability or concept required in these use cases that is not documented in the existing use case?

>>> http://www.w3.org/community/webcryptoapi/wiki/Use_Cases#Storing_loca
>>> l