Re: Support Web Commerce CG

On 11/17/2017 10:19 AM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
> I do not support the creation of a new general purpose Community
> Group to mirror the IG

Apologies Ian, I just now saw your email after sending out the
announcement. Some thoughts below:

> I think there are ample fora for incubating specific work, including
>  these CGs:
>
> * Web Incubator

Their charter states:

"The Community Group will accept and discuss any proposal for a web
platform feature that would be implemented in a browser or similar user
agent."

This is a bad fit for the Web Payments HTTP API and any non-browser APIs
and data models.

> * Web Payments

This is too narrow, for example - digital offers probably doesn't fit
here. The Web Payments CG was launched at a time when the mission was
more narrow than Web Commerce. I suggest we merge the Web Payments CG
with the Web Commerce CG.

> * Digital Offers

I fail to see how the HTTP API has much to do w/ digital offers, it's
broader.

> * Interledger

This CG is specifically for Interledger stuff, which has a different set
of requirements and players than the HTTP API.

> * Automotive and Web Platform

The purpose of the group is too narrow... HTTP API is about more than
automotive.

> * Web of Things

The participants are focused on WoT where an HTTP API for payments is a
small part of the ecosystem. We need payments expertise in the group,
not necessarily WoT expertise.

> * Credentials

The mission of the Credentials CG has very little to do with Web
Payments HTTP APIs.

> Or, if you think a focused CG is in order, then I suggest creating
> the HTTP Payments CG or something similar.

Launching a CG for every new spec we want to incubate is probably not a
winning strategy. I'm arguing that we should consolidate Digital Offers,
Web Payments, and HTTP API into a single CG; the Web Commerce CG.

> I don’t think a general Web Commerce IG will add value.

I'm happy to discuss other proposals... we can always
delete/invalidate/back out the Web Commerce CG. That said, I'm not
convinced that any of the groups you mentioned are a good fit.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: The State of W3C Web Payments in 2017
http://manu.sporny.org/2017/w3c-web-payments/