Re: Support Web Commerce CG

> On Nov 17, 2017, at 9:43 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/17/2017 10:19 AM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>> I do not support the creation of a new general purpose Community
>> Group to mirror the IG
>
> Apologies Ian, I just now saw your email after sending out the
> announcement. Some thoughts below:
>
>> I think there are ample fora for incubating specific work, including
>> these CGs:
>>
>> * Web Incubator
>
> Their charter states:
>
> "The Community Group will accept and discuss any proposal for a web
> platform feature that would be implemented in a browser or similar user
> agent."
>
> This is a bad fit for the Web Payments HTTP API and any non-browser APIs
> and data models.
>
>> * Web Payments
>
> This is too narrow, for example - digital offers probably doesn't fit
> here. The Web Payments CG was launched at a time when the mission was
> more narrow than Web Commerce. I suggest we merge the Web Payments CG
> with the Web Commerce CG.

Given that this specific proposal is about HTTP-baesd payments, I suggest instead
that we enlarge the scope of the Web Payments CG for several reasons:

 * There is a higher cost to creating a new CG an having everybody join it than simply
   enlarging the scope of an existing CG.

 * Having the IG mirror the scope of the Web Payments WG (where this migrated from)
   seems appropriate.

Ian

--
Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>